By Natalie Pratt • Sep 12, 2018
IT Soundtracks to Get You through the Day
We all have our own ways of getting things done at work. I don't know about you, but when I need to focus I tune into Spotify. Now, I'm not sure how IT admins feel about streaming music at work, but I haven't had any complaints so far, and I am pretty certain they are doing it too!
In fact, when I told our IT team we wanted to create some Spotify playlists for fellow IT comrades they were very quick to tell me what music gets them through the day!
What Do the Experts Say?
When I googled "working to music", I came across several articles discussing the pros and cons of this.
Interlude: I find it quite amusing that we feel the need to run scientific studies to tell us what's good for us. I mean, if it helps YOU, then it helps you.
But anyway, if you're interested in what the experts are saying, last year the Telegraph published some reasons for listening to music while you work. There are even books on the subject, like this one: This is Your Brain on Music, by Daniel J. Levitin.
Daniel Levitin is a neuroscientist who claims that we only feel more productive when we listen to music, and that actually studies (like this 2010 one) prove otherwise.
Whatever your stance on listening to music at work, before work, or after work, our sysadmins have created some Spotify Playlists for you to wrap your ears around!
Wherever the mood takes you, we have you covered:
- Coding - for when you really need to be in a "flow state".
- It's going to be a long night - for those times you have to work through the night. I've been there. Yuck!
- In CTRL - for when you have everything under control. Life's good, and you just want to kick-back.
- The boss just called...! - for times you want to vent that anger. Yeah, we all feel it... maybe music helps to channel that anger into your work?! Maybe.
- Hackathon - to get you motivated when you're in the hacker-zone!
Turn on, tune in, and drop us a note below if you like our playlists. If you don't, tell us what you listen to at work. We won't judge!